31 December, 2011

For Auld Lang Syne

 “My new year's resolution” by Robert Fisher

"What can be said in New Year rhymes,
That's not been said a thousand times?
The new years come, the old years go,
We know we dream, we dream we know.
We rise up laughing with the light,
We lie down weeping with the night.
We hug the world until it stings,
We curse it then and sigh for wings.
We live, we love, we woo, we wed,
We wreathe our prides, we sheet our dead.
We laugh, we weep, we hope, we fear,
And that's the burden of a year."

What did Thomas and I do to splash out on the final afternoon of the year? First we bought a toaster, a blender, and a scale from our friends at Bed, Bath & Beyond. Then we took Dru to the vet for a clip, visited the library, and ate Chinese for dinner.

Now we are drinking Champagne and watching Leaves of Grass, with Ed Norton playing identical twins. My friend Katy recommended this movie, and so far it's good.

I have not yet nailed down my goals and plans for 2012, other than  getting my cholesterol down.

I've now been posting for a year and am still not sure what I think of blogging. It's fun for me to go back and see what was going on over the year. I also like reading my friends' blogs, so maybe if blogging keeps us in touch, it's worth it.

edited to add: Leaves of Grass turned out to be a lot darker than it started. The message seems to be that we are all animals, breaking the world, so we ought to try to fix it. Or possibly that we should live without fear, because nothing we do can change whatever is going to happen. I'm not sure. As I said, it was dark. But Ed Norton showed his chops for sure.

Edited again to add: Now watching The Color Of Magic, which is much sillier and lighter and more of what I want to watch on New Year's Eve.

No comments:

Post a Comment