14 April, 2011

First good news and then bad

First I got some funny news in an email from my Mom.

Backstory: When I was a kid, my Dad hardly ever went to movies. He saw a few war movies, a couple of Westerns, but unlike my Mom, who's always liked going to see movies, it wasn't his thing. The only movie I ever remember my Dad taking me to, just the two of us, was Tora! Tora! Tora! He took my sister to see Patton. We were probably 5 and 6 at the time. That right there tells you a lot about my Dad.

Well, one of the things that my parents have begun doing in their retirement is going to the movies together. The way they pick their movies cracks me up. They drive over to Anderson most Fridays, and go to the movie that looks like it will be okay. Often they don't know much about the movie before they see it, which has led to them seeing many movies that are not parent-safe. I see no reason for my parents to have watched The Forty Year Old Virgin!

So, a while back, one of them filled out a Coca Cola sweepstakes entry for a trip to CA to see a show being filmed. This week they got the news that they had won a trip. They have flights, 2 nights in a hotel, and good seats to see the filming of...are you ready for this...AMERICAN IDOL.

My parents have never watched American Idol, but they are going to enjoy this trip!

The bad news: just got a call from my college roommate and dear friend, also named Amanda. Her younger brother has a cancerous mass (large) in his lower abdomen. Tomorrow they do a biopsy. Then, depending on what they find, they will proceed with treatment. The entire family is scared. Please, keep them in your prayers, lift them into the light, send positive, healing vibes, whatever it is you personally do for people who need some extra help.

1 comment:

  1. I think your parent's trip sounds very exciting! And of course, the complete antithesis of that is your friend's news. Life moves in such extremely opposite directions.

    ReplyDelete